Driver charged with automobile homicide after Utah couple on motorcycle die in crash –

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes
ST. GEORGE — A man accused of hitting and killing a southern Utah couple riding a motorcycle last week has been charged with automobile homicide.
John Brett Sartor, 47, whose address is listed as the Switchpoint homeless shelter in St. George, is charged with two counts of automobile homicide, a second-degree felony; two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, a third-degree felony; driving on a revoked or suspended license, a class B misdemeanor, as well as other traffic misdemeanors.
On April 3, the couple was hit by a Honda Accord and killed in a head-on crash on Old Highway 91 in Washington County near Gunlock, according to a police arrest affidavit. Police said Sartor had failed to negotiate a curve in the road.
Family members identified the couple as Jacob Adam Cadreact and Lindsey Contreras in an obituary. They were engaged.
"From evidence at the scene, it appeared that the Accord, operated by Sartor, was northbound on Old Highway 91 and drifted over a double yellow line into oncoming traffic," police wrote.
Both the man and woman died at the scene. Sartor was taken to a hospital with injuries, police said.
"According to deputies at the scene, medical staff indicated the odor of alcohol while working on Sartor and preparing him for transport. Sartor has a revoked driver license for alcohol offenses, along with six prior driving convictions with at least two prior arrests for DUI in the last 10 years," the affidavit states.
Police said Sartor is also an interlock-restricted driver, which means he cannot drive without an ignition interlock device installed. Those devices require a person to pass a breath alcohol content test.
"There was no interlock device observed in the vehicle. Sartor is currently on parole. Based on the totality of the scene, the failure of Sartor to negotiate a long curve, the presence of alcohol detected by medical staff, and Sartor’s license status and history of driving under the influence, I believe it is probable that Sartor was impaired to extent that he could not safely operate a motor vehicle," police wrote in the affidavit.
After he was released from the hospital, police booked Sartor into Washington County Jail, according to court documents.
A search of court records shows Sartor was charged in 2016 with driving under the influence, failing to remain at an accident involving injury, driving as an alcohol-restricted driver, and driving without an interlock system. The charges stemmed from a head-on crash caused by Sartor "traveling at high speeds in a center turn lane," according to charging documents. He pleaded guilty to driving under the influence. In exchange for his plea, the other charges in that case were dropped. He was sentenced to serve up to five years in the Utah State Prison.
Sartor pleaded guilty to driving under the influence again in 2019 and in 2020, court documents state. In each of those cases, he was again sentenced to up to five years in the Utah State Prison.


Enable Exclusive OK No thanks